If your goal is a six pack body, then crunches is a definite workout which you should add to your schedule. Crunches specially targets your abdominal muscles specifically and improves the strength of the ab muscles. Also workouts like planks, push ups and glute bridges works on your abs but crunches are directly focusing on the ab muscles. Not only that, crunches will also have other benefits too. Some of them can be listed as strengthening abdominal muscles and strengthening core muscles.
So here are the steps to perform crunches accurately without causing any harm to the spine and other muscles.
- Lay a mat on the floor and lie on it
- Bend your knees and keep your feets on the floor with hip width apart
- Place your hands behind your head and cross the fingers
- Now pull your ab muscles to up with an inclination of 30 – 40 degrees or until you feel your abs are working
- Hold that position for few seconds
- Slowly return to the starting position
If you are a beginner then it will be hard for you at the beginning. So try to do 20 – 30 repetitions on the first day and increase gradually when you feel nothing after covering the relevant number of steps.
If you have done exercises before, try to do 150 repetitions for a 1 set.