Fire Hydrant Exercise Benefits
This is a great workout which targets your glutes as well as the inner and outer thighs. Some variations of fire hydrants also targets the abdominal area too. It also strengthen your core and gluteus muscles. So it is a great workout specially for ladies to tone their buttocks and thigh areas. Fire hydrants also can sculpt your glute muscle, improve back pain and lower the risk for injuries.
As the glutes are the biggest muscle group in the human body and fire hydrants works on them, it burns more calories when you perform this exercise.
Fire Hydrant Exercise Affecting Muscles
Fire hydrants primarily targets your gluteus maximus, pelvis and hip region and it also targets your core.
Fire Hydrant Exercise Variations
Even though fire hydrants is an easy go, there are few intermediate and advanced versions also. Fire hydrant plank position and the fire hydrant kick-out are some of them. You can perform the relevant variation according to the muscle you need to target on.
Fire Hydrant Kick Out
In the usual fire hydrant which is known as the kick out fire hydrant, following are the steps to perform.
- Stand on your knees and hands
- Your palms should be on the ground right under your shoulders
- Now lift your right knee and bend it to outwards to an angle more than 45 degrees
- Return back to the starting position and re do the same for 1 set with 10 – 15 repetitions
- Switch the legs and repeat
- Do 3 sets for each legs
Fire Hydrant Plank Position
This variation of fire hydrants affects to abdominal muscles, chest and shoulders also. In here, instead of the knees, you have to touch the floor with your feet as in the plank position.
- Be in the plank position and same way as previous variation (Hands right under shoulders)
- Bend one knee towards your chest
- Now move it outwards of your body like before
- Move back to the inwards
- Repeat for 1 set with 10 – 15 repetitions
- Switch the legs after a 1 set and repeat
- Do such 3 sets for each leg
Add this in to your daily workout routine and see the differences.