Chicken is one of the most popular proteins for most families. It has a mild taste, making it go with a variety of flavors and cuisines, and it’s pretty cheap. If you don’t know what to do with it, though, it can be pretty boring. This section is full of interesting – and easy – chicken and turkey recipes that are Freestyle-friendly. Meals range between 0-6 points, and borrow from places like Italy, Asia, and South America. Short on time and need a delicious, quick dinner? These are the recipes to turn to!
Simple Shredded Chicken
Sweet ‘n Sour Chicken w/ Rice
Oven-Baked Chicken Kebabs
Skillet Lemon-Garlic Chicken + Zucchini
Enchilada Zucchini Boats
Slow-Cooked Chicken Cacciatore
Easy Turkey Pot Pie
Simple Shredded Chicken
Time: 35 minutes (10 minutes prep time, 20 minutes simmer time, 5 minutes
For a recipe that’s only 1 point, this chicken has a ton of flavor and
versatility. Shredded chicken on its own is bland, so it’s time for spices like
chili powder, dried oregano, onion, and cumin to come out and play. These
all mix with tomato sauce and sit to blend while you cook onion in some
olive oil. Then, it’s time to add the chicken, which cooks for 6 minutes. Pour
in the tomato-spice mixture and bring to a boil. Cover, and finish cooking for
20 minutes or so. Time to shred! You can serve this on a 0-point bed of
lettuce or with some low-calorie tortillas!
16-ounces tomato sauce
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
3 minced garlic cloves
4 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 chopped onion
1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
1. In a bowl, mix tomato sauce, vinegar, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and parsley together.
2. Pour oil into a skillet and heat.
3. When beginning to sizzle, add onions and cook, stirring until no longer raw and beginning to turn golden.
4. Add chicken and cook for a total of 6 minutes, 3 minutes per side.
5. Pour in tomato sauce mixture and stir.
6. When boiling, lower the heat to medium-low and cover with a lid.
7. Simmer for 20 minutes until chicken is 165-degrees and tender.
8. Remove chicken (keep the skillet and sauce on low-heat) and shred with two forks.
9. Return shredded chicken to the pan and stir.
10. Cook for another 5 minutes to thicken sauce.
11. Taste, seasoning with salt and pepper!
Freestyle points: 1
Nutritional Info ( ⅙ per serving)
Total calories: 184